Monday, January 24, 2011

Emergency Broadcast: Past

Generally, I have my blogs somewhat planned before writing. There will be some stuff in them that is currently going on in my life, but also things that have happened to me that I want to write about.

Every once in awhile however, something will happen in life that demands an alteration to my current writing plans. Something I feel I must write about right then and there...thus begins my new series; Emergency Broadcast.

I once heard that there are two types of people in the world: those that are fascinated at what happened, and those that are fascinated at what is to come. I think I am the latter. Constantly looking ahead and not overly concerned with what has happened in my life other then what could be learned from my mistakes. My past is not something that comes up a whole lot in conversations because quite honestly, I am ashamed of most of it.

That being said Friday night at Olive Garden we sat at the bar because no seats were available. Mine and Jen's bartender was none other then a huge reminder of who I once was. Now, this was not a bad thing by any means and I was excited to see her. Not to mention very surprised....I honestly thought I would never see this person again in my life. (a list of people that is dwindling)

All through dinner I couldn't help but think back to my days before Christ. Who I was, what has happened, the story is amazing. Anytime I run into anybody from this particular time in my life, I very badly want to tell them how I have changed, what God has done, where I am now in life...but of course, the middle of an Olive Garden shift is probably not the most appropriate time. (I settled for a bad joke about how much less I was being yelled at by cops)(<---wow that sounds bad....)

She gave me the number to my former best friend and informed me that he looked for me on facebook. I'm excited to share whats been going on in my life with him and hear what he has been up to. She seemed to be doing much better as well, which was encouraging....Don't think she liked working there though.

It was strange being served a Corona by a giant slap-in-the-face reminder of who you once were. Strange, but exciting to reflect on who I am now, and what God has done to me through His word and other people. She probably should have slapped me in the face after the tip I left her. I feel bad, it was not on purpose though!...The service was great. I just suck at math...Enter: Tip Calculator.

Chances are I won't get the chance to really catch up with her. But that night was spent thanking God for everything He used to make me realize that living for Him was worth more then anything this world could offer me.

2 comments:

  1. Now you KNOW I have to ask....who that was...lol! And why would a police officer yell at my baby boy :<

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey man thats good stuff, i enjoyed readind that and im glad your doing good and happy to know your still going to church. that made alot of since so maybe i will look into going to chuch here in the future. im sure jackie loved that tip lol. talk to u soon man cameron

    ReplyDelete